The Golden Visa Programme offers non-European citizens a simple and fast way to obtain a five-year residence permit and the possibility of applying for Portuguese nationality and, consequently, a European passport in the 6th year. The Golden Visa allows free movement in the Schengen area and is a great opportunity for third-country nationals to buy holiday homes, make financial investments, establish their businesses in the EU or just move to a country known for the excellent quality of life, beautiful beaches, great weather, and its magnificent history and culture.
Obtaining a Residence Permit in Portugal for Investment Activity (ARI):
The current legal provisions open the possibility for foreign investors to apply for a residence permit for investment activity, to whom they have regular entry into the national territory (holders of valid Schengen visas or visa-free beneficiaries), by means of capital transfers, job creation or real estate purchase.
Who can apply?
The legislation is revoked and the investor can choose one of the following investment activities to obtain a residence permit:
- Acquisition of immovable property worth € 500,000 or more (five hundred thousand euros);
- Acquisition of immovable property, the construction of which has been completed for at least 30 years or located in an urban rehabilitation area and rehabilitation of real estate acquired, totaling € 350,000.00 or more (three hundred and fifty thousand euros);
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 1 million euros;
- Creation of at least 10 jobs.
In addition to the above-mentioned changes, it is also envisaged to include investment in capital risk, cultural production activities, scientific research and positive discrimination, by reducing investment in low density and productivity territories by 20%.
- Valid passport;
- Carrying a Schengen visa, if applicable, and regularizing the situation with the SEF within 90 days from the date of first entry into Portugal;
- Criminal record of the country of origin or of the country where you have lived for more than one year;
- Declaration to authorize consultation of the Portuguese criminal record;
- Negative debt updated declaration issued by the Tax and Customs Authority and by the social security;
- The declaration, under an honor commitment, by which the applicant certifies that it will fulfill the requirements of the investment activity in the national territory;
- Health insurance.
For more information about the Golden Visa Programme in Portugal, please contact us.